Monday, April 9, 2007

Northwest Halifax...you rock.

First, a personal shout-out to everyone in Ms. Timmerding´s class at Northwest Halifax, you are all awesome and all your questions make me smile, especially about llamas. No, they are not running around the streets or climbing the roofs, and technically I´ve only seen them twice, but it is what is most exciting about remembering that I am in Bolivia. I will answer a few questions now...ones I think funniest I guess. Um, clothes definately have a ´better´smell in the states, meaning they keep the laundry smell in them. When you have to hang-dry your clothes they just smell like outside, usually picking up any type of smoke (from a fire or stove) that is in the air, but they are definately fresh and a lot stiffer. Yes I´ve run to the bathroom and yes, lots of mosquitos have bitten me...they like to come out at night (just like the states) so I retreat to my room when the sun goes down, and have to sleep in a mosquito net at night, but they aren´t that bad in Cochabamba. Um, you should look at pictures of Silvia and I when we were kids (we didnt know each other) but we are basically the same person. Um, I just got a new CD of music: Emilia Torrini (I think) and I like her a lot...basically all my favorite music has come from Silvia, so ask her. And the food? Well, I like it a lot...it is all very fresh and very healthy, but I eat a lot of potatoes and rice and pasta with chicken or beef, usually in soup form and bread and hot milk in the mornings. Sometimes it gets tiring, but it is still really good. And, all those other really good serious questions I´ll have to think about and give you a good answer later.

Um, I´ve posted more pictures for those who haven´t found them yet on facebook...
http://utk.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2116285&l=ca5e8&id=12923317

and...Bree, I talked about Fair Trade today in Spanish class and how my friend sold Fair Trade Bolivian coffee in honor of me...so my spanish class and teacher now know about wonderful people drinking and selling good coffee in Lex. That´s it for now...love to all.

4 comments:

silvia said...

Raven says thank you for answering her question. And La'Monique has a new nickname: Llama.

Everyone has enjoyed reading about Bolivia. We learned that it rained a lot in January and February, the llamas are not running loose everywhere, there are a lot of mosquitoes, you don't eat cow tongue often, and you don't have running water. In Bolivia they speak Quechua and Spanish. Many of the people are not as tall as Americans. La Paz is the capital of Bolivia. Antiana adds that in the Quechua language, there is sometimes a throat click. The Andes mountains are very tall, and sometiems snow-topped. We learned about the Antiplano. They celebrate Easter with Roman Catholic customs, like the procession with Jesus on the cross.

Is there anything you think we should definitely know about Bolivia? And also, Tiera says she is glad you have gotten used to the breathing.

We would like to send you something in Bolivia. (My students want to know, What is your favorite candy bar?) We really enjoy reading about Bolivia and having the connection with you because you are there right now. It has shown my class that Spanish is used outside the classroom. First Block gives a resounding THANK YOU!!!

silvia said...

This is THIRD BLOCK- their questions and comments:

The capital of Bolivia is La Paz. One of the languages is Quechua. You usually wash your clothes outside, there are mosquitoes at night, the bathroom is far away and sometimes you must run to get there.

And, Would you rather live in the United States or Bolivia? What is the time difference from EST? Have you gotten homesick? Do you miss anything from the states?

Natasha says, "I think you are a brave person for going over there."

Thank you again for talking to my classes! We will make a package to send to you. Any special requests?

Talk to you again in 4th Block!
Un abrazo fuerte, Ms. Timmerding

silvia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
silvia said...

Questions and Comments from 4th Block:

Travis says, "Thank you for answering our questions!"

Tony says, "Maybe you can ship us a Llama." (pronounced the spanish way, 'yama')

We are going to send you a package.

Do the llamas smell good? Or... do they stink??

What kind of music does Emilia Torrina play?

Does the music you listen to help you to keep going?

How are you adapting to your environment in your new site placement?

In North Carolina, Spring is here. We have llamas on a farm down Hwy 48, so we have a mental picture. The weather is changing. Gas prices are going up. It makes us (or Tony at least. and me.) want to go buy llamas. The juniors say they are ready for the Prom. We are going to have a stretch llama for prom. We just came back from Easter break.

Gracias muchisima por todo!
sinceramente, cuarto bloque