Friday, March 23, 2007

Leg warmers, and salt flats

I have had an excessive amount of internet availability and time in the past week, and find it a little teasing to say the least, since although my activities are plenty, I honestly feel a bit overwhelmed and incapacitated to relay any real feelings towards you guys. But, I´ll try.

A certain someone mentioned `perfect` as far as site placement in the Altiplano...um, yes, the Altiplano is exactly what I pictured when getting Bolivia as a placement. But, honestly, its hard not to feel like I got short-sticked when talking to language facilitators, other volunteers, my host family, etc. They are like `you better buy some sweaters its SOOO cold´ and they give me a blank, freaked-out stare mixed with ´oh, you pobrecita´ and im like, well, heck the altiplano is the most unique inhabited place in the world, im lucky to be able to live there for 2 years (when in my head im thinking they must know something i dont, and im a bit scared at imagining myself, alone, wrapped in 50 layers of clothes, shivering in my bed and trying to keep motivated...at least for the first 3 months, which happen to be winter). They say it gets down to -5 or so celsius, but with no heat-source, thats cold. Maybe, and just maybe, ive heard rumors of a space-heater. Ok, all my aprehensions are a little excessive. I´ll just buy some alpaca wool leg-warmers and sweaters and knit some hats. I´ll be fine. And, honestly, I´m so excited to being going there. I´ve also heard to lake moderates the temperature especially at my site, therefore keeping it a bit warmer in the midst of winter.

And...there will be no malaria pills, no mosquito nets, no bug-spray, no bugs of that sort, and hopefully no sweaty clothes. So, I might be lucky on washing clothes less and for that matter bathing less as well, but dont worry I´ll keep healthily clean. And, it is only 7 hours from Cochabamba, making travel arrangements super easy, and no flying. We had to fly home the other day from our tech week and it reminded me how much I hate flying...those going down south again have to fly due to bad roads and/or always because it is more than 2 days travel.
There are also these supposedly amazing salt flats not too far from Oruro, and from what current volunteers have told me `the most astoundingly eerie (spelled wrong im sure) natural feature they´ve ever seen` SOOO, for all those interested, there will be more than llamas to see when you come visit me.

5 comments:

McKinley Ann said...

you spelled eerie correctly. your next package will include some items to help with the cold, since these are hard to knit. i do not think you are cursed with your placement; i know it will be the perfect place for you. i can't wait to hear the stories from up there, in the cold region. here, it's very warm and sunny and trees are budding and all the daffodils are blooming, so I'll send those pictures soon. i love you.

Bree said...

hey t-
one of the perks of being the morning opener at common grounds (besides getting up at 5:30am) is picking out the coffees for the day. Today was my first chance to choose. wanna know what i chose? FAIR TRADE BOLIVIAN! Then I told all the caffeine addicts about people about my wonderful friend in altiplano. my efforts to be a part of your life. love you
Bree

silvia said...

Hi Tiffany, this is Silvia. My class has been looking at your pictures and reading up a little bit on Bolivia. They have some comments to make and so I guess I will post them here:

"How much money do you make?" - Alesha

"How does cow tongue taste?" - Raven

"Did you have to run to the bathroom when you had to go, when it was 50 yards away?" - La'Monique

"Had you ever been bitten by a mosquito, or any other bug? Did it hurt" - Antiana

"Do the clothes smell better when you wash them in the United States or in Bolivia?" - Raven

"Did the llamas spit on you?" - Jennifer

"How is the weather now?" - Andrea

"Did you ever pass out?" - Alesha

"Do you miss America?" - Andrea

"What up, TT?" - Silvia (I mean "Ms. Timmerding")

silvia said...

Some more questions from my 4th block: (There are a lot!!! Please don't kill me.)

What inspired you to join the Peace Corps? - Tony

Did it hurt you to your heart to see how other people live? - Travis

How would this experience impact your life? - Brittany

My students think we look alike. - Silvia

Do you have any regrets? - Justin

What is your favorite thing to do? (Ride a llama?) - Charmele (And Tony)

How does the food taste? - Roscelyn

Do you listen to music? What kind of music do you like? - Corey

What is the most beautiful thing about Bolivia? - Bobby

Are you ready to come back? - Jeremy

What is the one thing you value the most, while you are there in Bolivia? - Travis

Does each person over there have a llama or do they roam free? - Tony

Have you ever felt like quitting? - Bobby

Do you miss your family? - Roscelyn

Everybody keeps talking about llamas. - Silvia

If you had a llama, what would you name it? - Andrea

What kind of animals are roaming around? - Justin

What is the craziest thing that has happened to you while you have been there? - Bobby

What are the fiestas like? (They ain't got no TVs there, so I bet they be crunk.) - Tony

Jessica said...

correction, in louisville today, april 6th, it snowed. not only did it snow, but apparently at night it got down to 20 degrees F. AH! in april!!!! today for my moms wedding it snowed like crazy, its so bizarre. i decided i dont like the cold, but hey, at least where there are cold temperatures there are warm blankets and hot drinks, two very excellent things to look foward to. PS sorry i couldnt understand you well on the phone.