We all made it. All 29 trainees were sworn-in as official Peace Corps Volunteers on Friday the 13th, our luckiest day. This is me being a bit dorky and taking a picture to make Mom proud. In midst of PST, we switched from PCTs to PCVs after getting approval from the CD, PTO, PCMOs, LFs, TCs, after completing such activities as CDAs, FREEHOPS, RVDs, and the like. I guarantee that I just used about a quarter of the accronyms we have grown accustomed to. Our elected `valedictorian` spoke for about 2 minutes using accronyms at our swearing-in ceremony...and yes, we understood it all. It is quite an amazing feeling to have jumped through all the hoops and tests be official volunteers now. Being able to spend time with the other trainees and enjoy our last couple of days in the city is making us reflect more on what we`re actually doing here. Ever since arriving in Miami, we`ve shared this experience with each other, and this weekend I am saying goodbye to them. We will see each other in 3 months, the same amount of time we have known each other. But, as everyone says in the Peace Corps...you will experience the longest days and the shortest months of your life. It`s true. Some days feel like weeks, and then in a short breath, 3 months have passed.
I know I`m not sharing everything I could, and don`t even know where to start. Walking down a peaceful street here in Cochabamba this Sunday morning, I realized it feels like home here and the little things don`t stick out nearly as much anymore. From public transport, to street food, cholitas, and navigating the market, it is life. I am more confronted in my mind at this point of driving a car and having a cell phone...although, I will have to re-enter technology soon, and will be buying a cell phone soon.
Um, I will try to tell some stories. Easter sunday I went to a nearby town with my family and stood in a crowd right outside the church, not even making it inside. People migrate to larger churches on holidays and-or specific churches for specific occasions, for example I think this was a church of El Señor del Buen Viaje, and I pretended it was their way of sending me on my trip (buen viaje...good trip) I don`t pretend to understand latin catholic practices yet, but I can pretend. During the service, a band of 4 men stood at the doorway of the church and proceeded to play the national anthem, interrupting the service, but no-one seemed to care. Then, the priest came out and led a parade around the plaza which included...a statue of Jesus (wearing a bolivian sash) carried by four men, while the crowd continually threw flower petals on it. (Below)
Then Saturday...we had a family appreciation ceremony with all our families invited with lunch, certificates, and a photo contest. (Above) Here`s me and the family that came with me...includes my nephew (Russ) the other gringo and his family. We performed some American dances...sweet ones like the shopping cart and sprinkler and the fisherman...and also some Bolivian ones we had learned like the Chacarrera. We had a contest among the 29 of us dancing the Cueca, and the FJ and `best dancers in the world` trained me well, cuz me and my partner won! It was tons of fun...and I must say my cholita outfit helped me to the finish. Emily got 2nd place...below. We were the only 2 who dressed up.
We are gorging ourselves on an amazing selection of cable TV and freetime. We almost don`t know what to do with ourselves as training has been an 8-5 job, but the down-time has been nice as I will be entering a new life this week. We have to transport all our stuff using the flotas (buses), including all the living necessities such as a bed, stove, plates, sheets (which I will buy on Tuesday) along with all my luggage, a BOX of books and pamphlets and materials I`ve acquired over training, water filter, etc. It`s seems a little overwhelming right now and am wondering how it will work out, but I know it will and always does. It`s arriving in my site with a mountain of gear that seems the picture-perfect arrive of Peace Corps Volunteers in my mind. Here comes the gringa and all her stuff. But, I can`t imagine living in one place for 2 years...I mean the past 2-3 years of my life I`ve been in the dorms, Costa Rica, N. Broadway, Grosvenor, and multiple stays at home...let alone all the traveling in between. Making a place my home will ground me for awhile, and I`m quite content making that place Bolivia right now.
Well, honestly these first 3 months are the biggest test of all volunteers...we are technically restricted to city visits to once a month, as they want us to integrate, integrate, integrate. Please continue to write though...I`ll still love to hear about everything. I`ve got a new PO box in Oruro I will make it known soon, as well as my cell phone number. Apparently its free to receive calls from the states, and I might even have service in my site, intermittently that is...so Mom, you can always get ahold of me =).
I`m not sure what else to share....and feel like this has been a bit bland as my mood is quite simple and pensive without words at this moment...but I feel free and strong and happy. Love to all.
4 comments:
free and strong and happy is how i picture you.
i love your cholita outfit so much. You are the best dancer in the world, and a good loyal club member. I will buy you a golden trophy for your return. In the meantime, I will continue to show people your pictures and live my south american life through you. i want to see what this bolivian dance you keep talking about is. i already forgot the name. sorry. good luck with the next phase :)
buen viaje, and smooth integration in your new homestead. also, suerte with all your stuff.
i especially like your outfit selection for swearing in.... who would have guessed what a $1.50 in The Gambia will get ya'? will call soon, soon. yay for Tiff, PCV!!!
Post a Comment