Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Child

So in my unexpected ´vacation´ to Cochabamba I am finally getting around to visiting my old host family with whom I stayed with during training here 30 minutes outside of the city. My host sister had a baby in June and so I´m excited about seeing it this afternoon as well as just sit around and probally eat something, but I miss my Doña Bertha´s cooking, so it´ll be tasty. My desire is peanut soup with french fries in it. I haven´t seen them since I left in April but when I called yesterday to see if they would be around all I had to say was my name and my host dad responded with ¨ohhh, waway¨ which translates to ¨My Child¨ in Quechua. I was touched. No reminders of who I was or why I was calling, he immediately said ¨when are you coming to visit us?¨ and I simply responded with tomorrow. So I´m walking out of this internet cafe and spending the 1.50Bs to take a micro 1970s bus out to the ´campo´ of Cochabamba to visit my family. And this time next week I´ll be in transit to the United States of America where I get to see my real niece, also 6 months, and my real loving family and wonderful friends. See you soon. Love Me.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

peanut soup with french fries! delicious!!!

im jealous you know quechua words.

and dont worry, i am obviously going home to save loads to travel with you. doing that is at the top of my list when planning the future. before children, marriage, buying a car, anything adult like, i irresponsibly and joyfully will spend thousands of dollars having a fantastic time wandering around south america with you.

Laura said...

Yes! I already miss the french fries in soup. Really, it's brilliant.

Hope to see you in Lexington soon... :)